Recycle your Computers & Technology with us.

What can i do to restore my previous state

Posted By : Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on November 4, 2003

Follow us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   Follow us on LinkedIn

Let Data Doctors be your personal IT department today

Last night I was doing basic maintenance to my pc .Deleted temp. internet files, cookies and things were fine. I used the disk clean up to compress old files (only because it said that it was safe to do so)during that process I got a pop up that said this: Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your now.

The option that I was given was to either retry or cancel. I have not done either one. Windows xp came preinstalled on my pc so I do not have a cd to insert. I am not sure as to what I should do. Also, any of these file changes that were made, would system restore fix this?

This question was answered on November 4, 2003. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

If you have saved a copy of the data file in another location, you can copy it from that location back to your hard disk You can make a back-up copy at any time by copying the file to another location on your computer, to external storage such as a removable disk, or to a different computer All versions of Windows XP By default, this utility is not installed on Windows XP Home Edition You can install it from the Windows XP Home Edition compact disc, however If you do not have one then you will have to get one to restore your system to an earlier working state Yes

Curt Thompson (student)

About the author

Posted by Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on November 4, 2003

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Contact or Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!