Why did my computer shutdown and won't turn back on at all?

Question

I was playing a game on my computer and it just shut down on me, I restarted it and it went into the bios and said it was running in safe mode and the ram speed was changed to 100 and it needed to be 133. So we changed that and restarted the computer again, it shut down again and now it wont turn back on, it doesnt get any power at all. We have tried everything from switching power supplys to checking cords. We also were smelling a burning smell and we werent sure if it was coming from the computer. A few weeks ago we added 256 mb of ram and upgraded to windows XP.

Answer

This question was answered on March 30, 2004. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

Since your computer won't get any power at all, even after switching power supplies and cords,

the fact that you smelled a burning smell, indicated that your CPU (processor) overheated or some other component inside is burnt I would highly suggest that you have a professional technician look at this computer because this is a possible hazardous situation If you are smelling a burning smell this good lead into a fire.

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!

Author

Posted by Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on March 30, 2004