COVID-19 UPDATE: How Data Doctors is preparing & responding. Learn more >

How to I connect the hardware, and what kind of software do I need?


I have a lot of old vinyl long playing record albums I'd like to rrecord on my Hard Drive, and then convert to CDs. All I have is 2 audio jacks on the wires from my record player. I have USB on my computer. How to I connect the hardware, and what kind of software do I need?

Thanks in advance

(Might make a good newspaper colum for Ken)

Mike in Mesa

([email protected])


This question was answered on April 14, 2004. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

You would plug you record player into your sound card located in th rear of the tower.

Now the software to use is called Audacity It is open source and can be downloaded in Windows version.

Audacity is a free audio editor You can record sounds, play sounds, import and export WAV, AIFF, Ogg Vorbis, and MP3 files, and more Use it to edit your sounds using Cut, Copy and Paste (with unlimited Undo), mix tracks together, or apply effects to your recordings It also has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications Built-in effects include Echo, Change Tempo, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST and LADSPA plug-in effects

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on April 14, 2004