Norton's Antivirus no longer supported when trying to renew
My subscription ran out on the norton antivirus program. When I went to renew my subscription, the site notifyied me that they no longer support the version I have. I've heard you say on the radio program that Norton Antivirus 2004 was not a good choice for Windows 98se. What version is a good choice, and where can I obtain a copy since the stores only stock the 2004 version?
This question was answered on August 3, 2004. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.Well to start, I have gone to Symantec the maker of Norton and it does support windows98 in new Norton 2004 antivirus suite So you can buy the new one or email them to see if they can help you since you payed for the renewal.
Here what I found
Should I renew or upgrade?
You want to know if you should renew the subscription to your Norton program or purchase an upgrade to the latest version of the program.
What is the difference between a subscription renewal and a program upgrade?
• Subscriptions keep your program aware of new security threats, such as new viruses, or new Web sites that you might want to block from your computer Subscriptions do not add new features to your Symantec program, and they do not make that program compatible with new versions of computer operating systems.
• An upgrade is a new version of a Symantec program that replaces your older version New program versions may include new features, improvements that resolve technical problems, and compatibility with newly released operating systems or their updates (service packs) Upgrades include a complimentary one year subscription The new program must be installed to get the new features and subscription.
What versions can I renew the subscription for?
You can renew subscriptions for program versions 2002, 2003 and 2004 Subscriptions are no longer sold for the following program versions:
• Norton AntiVirus versions 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 2000 and 2001 for Windows
• Norton AntiVirus 5.0 and 6.0 for Macintosh
If you have one of these older versions, you need to upgrade to the latest program version in order to obtain a new subscription.
Deciding to renew or upgrade
If you have program versions 2002, 2003 or 2004, you need to decide if you want to renew this year or upgrade Users of Norton AntiVirus 2004 may want to consider moving to Norton Internet Security 2004 for added protection The information below will help you make that decision.
• Features and protection: If you are using Norton AntiVirus and need a firewall, you can take this opportunity to buy Norton Internet Security Norton Internet Security 2004 provides a firewall, spam filtering, antivirus protection, as well as other features--and comes with a one year complimentary subscription.
For more information about what the different upgrade options provide you, run LiveUpdate and follow the on-screen instructions to renew your subscription On the "Select Buy 1 year Renewal or Compare your Options to continue" page, click "Compare your options." It will give you a comparison chart so that you can better determine if now is the time for you to upgrade.
• Support: If you are using a program version that we no longer offer telephone or email support for, then you can take this opportunity to upgrade to the latest version available Symantec currently offers support for 2003 and later version programs If you have problems with unsupported versions of the program, your only option for support is to search the Knowledge Base for that program.
Norton is a good company and the most known out there but it’s not the only one out there that will work with windows 98se There are many others like panda soft: http://www.pandasoftware.com/home/default.asp
VirusScan Professional 8.0 by McAfee.com
Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm And there are many more but I have usedsome of this my self and some of my customers are running them without many problems
also you can try them for free to see if you like any of them
I hope this will help you out Good Luck
Need Help with this Issue?
We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!
Posted by robert of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on August 3, 2004