Facebook for Business 101 Workshop Resources
For those that attended our recent Facebook for Business 101 Workshop, here are the resources we discussed in the session.
This question was answered on October 18, 2012. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.Facebook for Business 101 Workshop Resources
Presented by Ken Colburn of Data Doctors and SRP
Keep up to date with future workshops at: https://www.srpnet.com/energy/powerwise/business/area/BRC/default.aspx
The following information is the follow-up to the Oct 17th workshop session:
Basics of getting started:
- Can you clearly articulate why someone should ‘Like’ your Facebook Business Page? If not, start by figuring out what your strategy for engaging visitors will be and make it as clear as possible.
- You need to have a personal account on Facebook in order to create a Facebook page.
- Your Facebook page will be tied to your personal profile as the admin of your Facebook page; however, only you and Facebook know the connection exists.
- You can have an unlimited number of Facebook business pages.
- You can have an unlimited number of fans (Facebook users who “Like” your business page).
- Facebook Pages are public—anyone can find and view your page whether they are logged into Facebook or not.
- All content posted on your Facebook business page can be indexed on Google, but not your personal page posts.
- You can add additional admins with varying levels of abilities; Manager, Content Creator, Moderator, Advertiser or Insights Analyst:
- All ‘Managers’ have equal rights to administer your page, including adding and removing other admins (choose with care!)
- Select your page title and category carefully as they cannot be changed once set.
Remember, any question that you have about Facebook can generally be answered at their Help Center: https://www.facebook.com/help
***If you aren’t a regular user of Facebook personally, you will have a tough time understanding how to leverage the platform and create value for your business.
Keywords are the key to any successful Internet-based marketing strategy; don’t guess, use Google’s Keyword Tool: https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool
To create a new business page, make sure you are logged in to your personal account and start here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
If your business page is actually a personal page (one that requires others to send a Friend Request) you can learn how and why you should convert it to a business page here: https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=213602951994043
Facebook’s EdgeRank algorithm determines whether others will see your page posts
What Makes Up Facebook EdgeRank?
There are three main components of EdgeRank:
- Affinity – the relationship between you (the content sharer) and the potential viewer of the content
- Weight – a different weight is assigned to any given type of content (pictures, video, text, links, etc.)
- Time Decay – posts lose value over time (and slip out of user’s newsfeeds)
How do you fight EdgeRank?
- Post regularly – regular posting can keep people engaged, make your page seem active and potentially reach more of your fans
- Keep your posts short – people prefer short posts that can be read and responded to quickly
- Use pictures and video – people love pictures and good videos can get people to react
- Ask people for input, opinions, to like or to share – people are more prone to act if asked
- Consider sponsored posts for important messages (learn more about Facebook Ads)
Here’s an infographic that explains the basics of how Edgerank works: http://marketing.wtwhmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/EdgeRank-Infographic.jpeg
Don’t fear negative comments, use them to show the world how you do business: http://www.triadadvertising.com/blog/facebook-and-negative-comments
Remember, don’t feed the filthy mouth Trolls or allow spammers to repeatedly post junk on your page; here’s how to ban them: https://www.facebook.com/help/185897171460026
Facebook is slowly creating inexpensive ways for you to get your posts and marketing messages to your existing followers or potential customers: https://www.facebook.com/advertising
How engaged is your audience on your Facebook Business Page? What are they responding to and what are they ignoring? Page Insights shows you: https://www.facebook.com/help/336893449723054
Be strategic about your posts and safe time by sitting down at the beginning of the week to schedule your entire week’s posts: https://www.facebook.com/help/389849807718635
Remember, any post about Facebook on Facebook is relevant to your audience.
Your primary objective is to create engagement that leads to opportunities to do business.
As you become more comfortable with the nuances of the engagement process, you will naturally find ways to promote your products and services
Management Tools to consider:
DON’T FORGET, this is an ever changing landscape that requires that you make time to stay in the game (15 minutes a day to start).
Continue to ask us questions so you don’t stop moving forward!: http://Facebook.com/DataDoctors
Need Help with this Issue?
We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!
Posted by Ken of Data Doctors on October 18, 2012