How do I change the registered user information in Windows?
I recently bought a used computer and want to update the user information in Windows. How do you change the registered user/company information without having to re-install Windows?
This question was answered on December 14, 2000. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.The following is a step-by-step guide to changing or customizing the registered user and/or organization name in Windows 9X, Me, NT.
1) As always, first step is to backup registry Click "Start", "Run", type "scanregw" and click "OK".
Click "Yes" if it prompts you (This step only valid in Win98, Me.)
2) Click "Start", "Run", type "Regedit" and click "OK".
3) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion by clicking on the plus sign in front of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then on Software, then on Microsoft, etc.
4) In the righthand pane, scroll down and locate the "Registered Organization" or "Registered Owner" Strings.
5) Double click on the String Name you wish to modify, enter the desired String Value and then click "OK".
6) When finished, close Regedit Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" You should see the new values displayed in the "Registered To:" area on the property sheet.
Need Help with this Issue?
We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!
Posted by Ken of Data Doctors on December 14, 2000