How do I change drive letters?


Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to assign deferent letter to some of the drives on my computer. Example: I what to change CD-ROM D:\ to drive X:\ and my CD-RW E:\ to Y:\.

Thank you.


This question was answered on April 16, 2001. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

Hi: Yes, there is a way On your desktop, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel Double-click the System icon, and then click the Device Manager tab Click the CD-ROM drive you want to change, and then click the Properties button Click the Settings tab In the Reserved Drive Letters section, set Start Drive Letter and End Drive Letter to the drive letter you want the CD-ROM drive to use Click OK until you are back at Control Panel Restart the computer.

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Josephine of Chandler-Gilbert Community College on April 16, 2001