How do I replace Windows 98 system files only?


I am having a problem with kernal.32 errors. I think the file is corrupted and would like to know how to reinstall the win 98 system files only.


This question was answered on January 29, 2002. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

Windows 98 has a utility called the System File Checker (SFC) With this utility you can replace a system file that has been corrupted or outdated To be able to do this you will need a Windows 98 CD.

1 Click Start, and then click Run.

2 Type SFC and then click OK This launches the System File Checker dialog box.

3 In the dialog box check Extract one file from Installation Disk, and then type in the file that you want to extract Then Click Start.

4 Then in the Restore From Box you'll have to type in the path to your CD-ROM, or you can Click Browse to find it c:\windows\system for the "Save file in" field and click OK The location where the file is saved to will vary depending on which file you wish to restore.

5 Then you will be prompted to make a backup of the file you are restoring Write down where the backup is going to be stored just in case anything goes wrong.

6 Once the backup and restoring of the file is complete you will see the message "The file has been succesfully extracted." To complete the process Click OK to restart your computer.

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Isboseth of Chandler-Gilbert Community College on January 29, 2002