How can I troubleshoot monitor or video card problems?
When I was on my computer (my other computer of course) the screen froze, then turned a yellowish tint. When I rebooted, the monitor button light turned a green color, like it's supposed to when it turns on, but then it turned yellow-orange. In addition, my computer doesn't sound right and I don't even know if it is booting up.
This question was answered on May 5, 2002. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.You didn't mention what you were doing on your computer when the monitor turned a yellow tint, or if any changes have been made to your computer recently.
1) Were you downloading/installing anything? Were you making any changes to the system settings?
2) Has any new hardware or software been added or installed recently?
3) Have you been getting any error messages? If so, then what do they say? It's a good rule to copy them or write them down.
Since you have two computer systems, you can do some basic troubleshooting on your own, which will help 'zone-in' on what is causing this problem.
1) While your computer is shut down, try replacing your monitor with one that you know works, then start your computer If this monitor works, then your problem is with the monitor If the new monitor does not work, then your problem could be your video card.
2) Try hooking up your 'yellow-tinted' monitor to your other computer system If it works, then your monitor is fine If it still has that yellow tint, then it's probably time to retire the monitor.
If this troubleshooting points to your video card as being the problem, you may need to replace it or take your computer somewhere to have the video card replaced
Before proceding with replacing your video card or monitor, I suggest doing some research first There are many good products available that are reasonably priced, just as there are many that are not so reasonable Make sure you get the equipment to fit YOUR needs.
Need Help with this Issue?
We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!
Posted by Debbi of Chandler-Gilbert Community College on May 5, 2002