COVID-19 UPDATE: How Data Doctors is preparing & responding. Learn more >



I want to transfer My Documents to my new computer and everyone says zip them. I have no idea how etc. Can you help????


This question was answered on February 6, 2003. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

"Zipping" a file is just computer jargon--it means archive a file(s) or a directory To do so you must download an application called WinZIP from here: Then you must install it, very easy process.

After installing it you should restart the computer, just in case When you are back in windows, right-click on your document's directory and click Add To Zip.. and follow the instructions on the screen.

As for the actual transfer of the files, this is a bit complicated, as it depends on the size of the archive you have created If it is fairly small you could just transfer it with a floppy disk, but if it is larger than 1.4 megabytes there could be a problem as it won't fit on one If you got time and floppy disks you can split the archive into several volumes by doing this:

1) right-click on the directory and press Add to Archive...

2) in the lower left corner there should be a box in which you can specify the volume size put this in there: 1400000

3) Press ok (or Add, I don't remember)

You can also e-mail chunks of the documents to yourself and recieve them on your new computer.

There is a more complicated way of transfering files over the network/internet using FTP or similar protocols but this is out of your scope right now as you are new to computers.

I hope this helps.


Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Alex of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on February 6, 2003