Which wire to use


Hi there, I am Thinking of Buying a Cable/DSL Gateway Router. But I’m not entirely sure how to connect it up. I know that the Cat5 cable from the modem goes in the WAN port on the Router and the other computers connect to the LAN ports but what cables do I use to connect the computers? I know I need Cat5 but do I use "straight though" or "cross over"?

Kind Regards

Peter Hopkins ([email protected])


This question was answered on April 26, 2003. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

To my knowledge either one will work as long as its a Cat5 eithernet wires most of the modern routers and nic cards you really don't have to do nothing else because they will automatically set themselves up as long as you instal everything correctly.

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on April 26, 2003