What are the proper cables to use for cable modem and router set up?


I am setting up a router to use with my cable modem and I understand there might be a difference in the type of ethernet cable to use between the router/computers and the router/cable modem for example. (e.i. pathch cables vs. ??)

Is this true, and if so, what types of cable are you supposed to use in those locations?



This question was answered on April 23, 2003. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

No it is not true, you should be able to use Cat 5 RJ 45 cabling Whether you use UTP or STP is up to you Just in case your not familiar with the abbrevations Cat stand for Category, UTP is unsheilded twisted pair (cheaper on the pocket) and STP is sheileded twisted pair (more expensive) Hope I helped.

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on April 23, 2003