I have a laptop and my son has a desktop. We are using Optimum Online cable and have a hard wired network for our 2 computers and our printer. I would like to use my laptop in a wireless mode but don't want to have to buy a new router and a wireless card for the desktop.

Is there any way, or type of adapter, that can be attached or plugged in to the router to make PART of the network wireless to a wireless card I would get for my laptop? The desktop runs Win 2000 and the laptop is XP home.

Thanks for your help

Dennis Paul


This question was answered on May 13, 2003. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

The only way you can make your laptop wireless network wise you will have to get a wireless card for your laptop and you will have to replace the router Microsoft has a router out that has both capability of sending out a wireless signal as well as hooking up with eithernet This way you wouldn't have to change nothing to your son;s desktop the most this project will probably cost you is about 80 dollars american here is the website that you can check out the router http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?sku=M17-1604

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on May 13, 2003