What is wrong with my monitor?


My monitor started to exhibit horizontal dark shadow-like bars across the screen where blocks of type or other graphics have significant dark color saturation. I bought a new monitor, but the problem remains. Could it be the video card?


This question was answered on September 10, 2003. Much of the information contained herein may have changed since posting.

Since you have tried another monitor and you are still getting the same results I would say it is a video card problem But, before jumping to conclusions try this:

Unplug all wires from your cpu

Open the case.

Unseat the video card (if theres a screw holding the video card in place, unscrew it).

Get a non-residue spray contact cleaner and use it (do not use TV tuner cleaners) At this time a small paint brush to loosen dust-bunnies will help remove dust that builds up within the CPU, AGP and PCI slots.

Plug the video card back in and see if that fixed the problem

Need Help with this Issue?

We help people with technology! It's what we do.
Schedule an Appointment with a location for help!


Posted by Student of Katharine Gibbs School - New York on September 10, 2003